Highways England have a new campaign with information should you find yourself in the situation where you are breaking down on the motorway with the following advice for motorists.
If you break down on the motorway:
- Put your LEFT indicators on.
- Move into the LEFT lane.
- Exit LEFT at the next junction/services, or.
- Exit LEFT into an emergency area or hard shoulder.
- Put your hazard lights on.
- Get behind a safety barrier where there is one; keep well away from moving traffic.
What a sad reflection on the current standard of driving we have in this country that Highways England feel they need to impart this information to the drivers of today who presumably when breaking down must think, “I’ll just stop here in the outside lane where most vehicles are proceeding at at least 70 mph, what can possibly go wrong with that?”
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?